Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Yes I Am Alive + Shadow of the Six Samurai - Shien

Alrighty guys, this post has been LONG overdue but there were various reasons for this such as me not being into yugioh/no-real-news for a week, then I had heaps of uni work that bogged me down for another week, and finally, my internet has been fagging out for the past few days. But after many swear words and a couple of unforeseen early nights, all is well and I am finally able to post this up. I swear I haven't even been to a locals in like 3 weeks thanks to parties, uni work, and sleeping in on that rare day where I have nothing else that I am committed to. Here's another long post for you guys to make up for my laziness.

Shadow of the Six Samurai - Shien

Anyway, first up is Shadow of the Six Samurai - Shien. He's already been blogged about a little but I really wanted to do so myself seeing as this is straight up the card I've been looking forward to the most in the last few months. His effect is as follows:


2 Level 4 "Six Samurai" monsters
Once per turn, During either player's turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card to target 1 face-up "Six Samurai" monster you control with less than ?000 ATK; its original ATK becomes ?000 until the End Phase. (amounts unconfirmed)

Sources:

I love the name and the reference to the samurai lore whereby he is acting as Shien's double. His art is smexy to say the least that I actually prefer it over Shien himself. But I've been looking over the pojo thread every day waiting for confirmation. So far the consensus seems to be that his target has to have less than 3000, and will be boosted to 3000. If this actually turns out to be his effect, this achieves a few things that samurais really wanted. Firstly, it means that Shien (with bros around) can't be rushed in one turn and then die. Secondly, it allows you to get over bigger monsters that you otherwise would have to synchro to get rid of. Additionally, Kageki, Enishi and Kizan become 4500, 3500 and 3300 respectively which is very daunting to say the least. Kageki could have the potential to take down an OBELISK. Of course, against a clear field it also just allows you to hit for more damage and kill them outright rather than having to wait until the next turn.

Next, he is easy to summon being rank 4 by using 2 kizans and sets you up for more special summoning thanks to gateway and the counters that he'll add to that when he's summoned. So he can essentially be free in most respects if gateway is up. If it's not, he can add a bushido counter to a united stuck on 1, or a dojo that needs one more counter to bring out an enishi, hand or whatever. Another point to consider is that if he actually does have the 3000->3000 as speculated, he can target himself which is a bonus among much else because that means he doesn't need another samurai up = solo boss. Also as a side-note he can be brought back by gateway. That's not much of a bonus, I know, but it could come in handy once in a hundred games. And that's really all you need to improve consistency.

In a sense, Shadow has become the Trishula of the samurai deck. No don't go all flaming me and shit as I'm not comparing what they specifically do but rather, what they do for the deck. Trishula was instantly the go-to when you were facing a problem monster (aside from an advantage and field-clearing perspective). The fact that an opponent can't just special summon into a big guy and take down your Shien with ease in one turn means that you've given yourself an extra turn's grace to comeback. Now grapha can be met and laughed at, shining becomes possible to get over without hand or enishi, and chaos dragons can go and suck it. Seriously, the relatively weak bodies of the samurais have honestly been the thing that has hurt me the most out of anything else when I've played them, such as monster effects and such. I really hate making my field even once I've bated out most of the danger cards that I believe my opponent to have, only for them to clear my field, leaving me to top-deck. Because as much as I wish they could, samurais cannot top-deck for shit. Especially when compared against rabbit and inzektors.

Now again, I'm not saying that Shadow is the most broken of the samurai or anything like that but what he does do is address a few small problems that occasionally cropped up in the deck which I have already outlined above. Now your kizans aren't stranded without a boost, and you can actually go on the offensive while still retaining that defensive stance thanks to his once-per-either-turn effect. And even if it ends up being a boost to a more reasonable 2500, it'd still benefit the deck a whole lot. In short lol, I can't wait to use him.

Other News

I am pretty keen for a battle pack tournament, although after reading various blog posts, the recurring gist that I seem to get is that the quality of your pulls are determined by how many tourguides you rip. Now while this may sort of seem obvious, I don't like how it's apparently more of an issue than I had originally thought.

Also, I've had a good go on Yu-Gi-Oh BAM on facebook and while it can barely be called yugioh, it is great fun in its own regard in a sort of bash-and-crash way. At least at the start anyway. I was greatly saddened though when today, I opened yugioh bam and it had me starting at the very beginning for some studid reason. I was all the way to lv13 :( Maybe it's out of beta, I dunno, I can't be bothered to research tbh but now I really don't care. But what it did do was remind me in a small way of what yugioh used to be like on a basic level which was the best bit for me really. It was just nice as something different to do as opposed to DN or something which is what I'm going to be talking about next.

I have become very tired of DN lately and as such have done less testing and had less playtime on it than ever before. Why is that you ask? Well because by the time I have free time to do so, it's late. Really late. And all I want to do is simply have a good game with some hard thinking only infrequently required in small amounts.

Enter DN noob.

Why is it that no matter who I play against, no one seems to have any idea how Yu-Gi-Oh works at a basic level all the way down to its mechanics. It actually pains me to see people hope to negate my shit with mst, say my trigger effects have no priority (massive wtf moments), say my trigger monsters lose their effects upon being flipped face-down, have contradictions even within their own stupid "rulings". And seriously, ALWAYS WITH THE FUCKING SCRAP DRAGON! I've had arguments where they've said he needs to tribute my monster as a cost to destroy theirs (this happens when they veiler). Or when they have it up and I book of moon it or something, yet it apparently somehow would still manage to destroy my monster.

One guy corrected me on a mistake I made when I misread a card having a cost when it was actually a requirement at the resolution of the effect. Fair enough, I dun goofed (it was 3 in the morning and I'd never used the card before). But not even 3 turns later, and I'm correcting him on the exact same basis of reason. Yet he wouldn't believe me. Eventually we got on with the game, but then he gets butthurt at another point about something else and jesus it pissed me off. Especially since the game itself was well-structured and needed careful plays. This just ruined it.

Seriously DN noobs, please gtfo and let me duel in peace.

I know everyone has their own 'experiences' on DN but I had to put this out there just to keep myself sane.

Now that that's out of the way, I'd also like to draw your attention to something else.


Now while these are likely just fakes posted up by some fan, their arts are awesome, and their effects are way cool. The main thing though, is that of course Konami are going to have to eventually make legendary XYZ as they always do in very generation. So this idea might not be that far off.

No news otherwise aside from me picking up an ultra malicious (he's like my favourite card), a gaia dragon and SIM for the lulz, and finally 2 kaiser gliders as a side for my monarch deck. Now while they aren't exactly optimal, what they do provide is a way to get rid of laggia because they function like Grandmaster of the six samurai. Even if they warning him, he's still going to get his effect off, and because he can't be destroyed in battle with another 2400 they'll still likely hit him with it so that they can actually go on the offensive rather than having to work around him later. Then I can keep my actual monarchs for later. And if anything else, he's a light for black luster envoy. Still on the look-out for a cheap Photon Strike Bounzer but alas, no luck so far. Do message me if you've got a good offer though.

Till next time (which hopefully won't be too far away this time), this is DEFER signing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment